To be eligible for professional membership, you must be a current individual member in good standing of SHRM and meet one of the following criteria:
- Be actively engaged in human resources in an exempt position as defined by the Fair Labor Standards Act classification;
- Be a faculty member in human resources or its related specialties at an accredited college or university;
- Be actively engaged as a consultant in human resources;
- Be an attorney who counsels and advises management clients exclusively on matters relating to human resources; or
- Be in an exempt position as defined by the Fair Labor Standards Act, in a classification for which human resources is a significant but not a major part of job responsibilities (i.e., a vice president who oversees the human resource function of a business, or a branch manager or principal of a staffing or placement firm.).